'morning Glopo (and other) folks,
Our first Model UN, LUMUN (Lynn University Model United Nations) is roughly a month a way! Please see the official delegation roster at the end of this post. I've listed everyone according to request and/or the availability of countries for NB. Based on this roster, we have 18 additional spots in our existing delegations. If you are not already signed up and are interested in attending this year's LUMUN, please reply to this post no later than Sunday 20 October 2013.
Now, on to the details. Please make plans to meet as a delegation sometime this week. Again, I will be out of school presenting at conferences from Monday the 21st through Saturday the 26th of October. I would like to meet as a collective group after school in room 101 on Monday 28 October at 4pm. At that meeting, we will set the calendar for subsequent meetings at that point as well as distribute permission slips for the event. Future meetings will cover the topics of speechmaking and resolution writing.
In terms of preparation; we have a generalized program of research and documentation that have served NB students well over the years. The complete set of documents can be found here. In broad strokes, this plan allows you a means of researching your country and topics, as well as to prepare your position papers and speeches on our topics. In advance of our meeting on the 28th, please complete the following:
- Read introduction, organization, and both resources below by 20 October
- About the United Nations. (2011). International Model United Nations Association. Retrieved October 31, 2012, from http://imuna.org/sites/default/files/About%20the%20United%20Nations.pdf
- Cardona, R. (Director). (2009, March 28). Documentary on model united nations trailer[Video]. Retrieved from http://youtu.be/w2wHkmrMApI
- Read the following documents as well as complete the country profile sheet on pp. 21-23 in the LUMUN Delegate Handbook by 27 October
- Collecting country information. (2012). United Nations Association of the United States of America. Retrieved September 12, 2012, from http://www.unausa.org/global-classrooms-model-un/how-to-participate/model-un-preparation/research/country-research
- Research and preparation. (2011). International Model United Nations Association. Retrieved October 31, 2012, from http://imuna.org/sites/default/files/Research%20and%20Preparation.pdf
- LUMUN 2013 GA Delegate Handbook
- Readings and prep for position papers and speeches will be decided at the meeting on Monday 28 October.
- LUMUN Delegate Guide: https://docs.google.com/a/mynbps.org/file/d/0B64XmMzPvryGaXJnUnFYWVBReXc/edit?usp=drive_web
- UN Global Issues (Peace and Security): http://www.un.org/en/globalissues/peacesecurity/
- UN Children and Armed Conflict: http://childrenandarmedconflict.un.org/
- UN Global Issues (Children): http://www.un.org/en/globalissues/children/index.shtml
- Example Speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeti7ribCRI
- 68th Session of the UN General Assembly Speeches and Statements (every country): http://gadebate.un.org/
- List of UN Member States: http://www.un.org/en/members/
- CIA World Factbook: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/
- Also find your country's official website
- LUMUN resources in Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B64XmMzPvryGVHFBQVhHbnZYb0E&usp=sharing
2nd ANNUAL LYNN UNIVERSITY MODEL UNITED NATIONS - LUMUN II
WEDNESDAY, 13 November 2013.
North Broward Preparatory School
Dem. Rep. of
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland