Kupchan, C. A. (Director). (2014, March 1). Ukraine's road ahead: Three things to know [Video]. Retrieved from http://goo.gl/rWlojH
Well, the last 24 hours in world politics have been interesting to say the least. Be sure that you're checking in with the usual suspects (CFR, Foreign Policy, The Economist, BBC News, NPR, UN News Centre, and more) for news and analysis on what's transpiring in Ukraine. Alternatively, you can also follow events live from the following (I'll add more regularly)
- BBC World News Live Coverage: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26400597
- @BBCWorldNews Twitter List: https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/lists/bbc-ukraine-2014
- @CarngieEndowment Twitter List: https://twitter.com/CarnegieEndow/lists/carnegie-ukraine
Higher Level 1
To what extent is the proliferation of nuclear energy, weapons, and related technologies a geopolitical challenge?
Power, Sovereignty, Legitimacy, Interdependence, Peace, Conflict, Violence, Nonviolence
Realism, Liberalism, Constructivism
Learning Outcomes and Prescribed Content
- The distribution, recognition and contesting of power at various levels of global politics
- Definitions of power; Theories of power; Types of power
- The operation and legitimization of state power in global politics
- States and statehood; The role of institutional contexts for operation and legitimization of state power
- The function and impact of international organizations and non-state actors in global politics
- Definition of civil society; International organizations, including the United Nations (UN); Non-governmental organizations (NGOs), multinational corporations (MNCs) and trade unions; Social movements, resistance movements and violent protest movements
- The nature and extent of interactions in global politics
- Global governance; Cooperation: treaties, collective security, strategic alliances, informal cooperation; Conflict: interstate war, intrastate war, terrorism, strikes, demonstrations
- Monday: Finish exploring Iran Crisis Guide, specifically Iran's Nuclear Program and Analyzing the Options. Poll on Policy Options.
- Tuesday: Discuss Kahl (2012, 2014) and Kroenig (2012, 2014). Complete I used to think…but now I think. Plan for Simulation Tell Me How This Ends on Thursday.
- Thursday: Simulation: Tell Me How This Ends. Complete Post-Simulation Survey
- Friday: Complete End of Term Survey
Higher Level 2
Monday through Friday: This is your final week to research, outline, perform, and/or submit your HL Extension Tasks. Please note that the last day to submit HL Extension Tasks is Friday 7 March. Third term is reserved entirely for revising towards the inaugural IB Global Politics exam as well as tying up any loose ends in the course, the IB Program, and your high school career.