IN WHAT WAYS, AND WITH WHAT EFFECTS, DO GLOBAL ACTORS PREPARE FOR AND RESPOND TO NATURAL DISASTERS?
Please consider the following as you take notes on the film (especially Chapter 2).
- How did the Haitian government try to help the people of Haiti after the earthquake?
- How did the Haitian people feel about the government’s reaction? How would you have felt?
- List some of the various NGOs (non-governmental organizations) that tried to provide aid in the days immediately following the earthquake.
- How effective were the relief efforts during the first two weeks after the earthquake?
- List at least three reasons why getting aid to the Haitian people was problematic.
- Do you agree with the U.N.’s decision NOT to coordinate the relief efforts? Why? Give two specific reasons.
- As you listened to the relief workers, health care providers and the Haitian people, what are your thoughts about the way aid was rendered by the world in this situation? Why do you feel this way?
- Collier, P., & Wanrholz, J. (2010, January 28). Building Haiti’s economy, one mango at a time. New York Times. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/opinion/29collier.html?scp=1&sq=one%20mango%20at%20a%20time%20collier&st=cse&_r=0
- The Economist. (2010, January 25). Seven questions for Jeffrey Sachs. The Economist. Retrieved from http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2010/01/seven_questions_jeffrey_sachs
- Gwertzman, B. (2010, January 19). Rebuilding Haiti: The work of decades. Council on Foreign Relations. Retrieved from http://www.cfr.org/haiti/rebuilding-haiti-work-decades/p21214
- Lowery, A. (2010). How to help Haiti rebuild. Foreign Policy. Retrieved from http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/01/19/how_to_help_haiti_rebuild#sthash.SfWvGrLC.dpbs