HL Extension Task
Topics: Environment & Sustainability; Poverty; Health & Disease; Culture & Identity; Migration; International Security
Due Dates: 14 February 2014; 7 March 2014
Please complete this form prior to beginning your research
You will be assessed on your ability to demonstrate your comprehensive understanding of the topic across four academic standards. We’ll use the markscheme in the IB Glopo Pilot Guide to reflect on your performance once the video is produced. Please keep this markscheme in mind as you design your research and construct your video presentation. In addition, please review each standard and consider the following questions as you craft your presentation.
In terms of mechanics, your presentation should be recorded on video, posted to YouTube, and shared with myself and your colleagues in the class. Please set your privacy settings so that I (firstname.lastname@example.org) can comment on your video. I would also advise that you keep this video private. You may use limited notes/prompt cards when delivering your presentation, but the content must not be written out in full and simply read allowed. In addition, I will provide feedback on a draft or dry run of the presentation, but the video may only be performed once. Videos uploaded to YouTube may not be edited in any way, shape, or form.
Knowledge and Understanding
Application and Analysis
Synthesis and Evaluation
Structure and Clarity
You'll want to adopt a plan for your research and presentation along the following parameters:
- Develop your research question
- For example, What are the geopolitical challenges for Syrian refugees in Turkey?
- You want to craft a specific topic, one that you can demonstrate your comprehensive understanding of in a 10 minute presentation
- Identify key source material.
- What are the primary sources that are the most germane to the study of refugees and IDPs? (UN documents & resolutions)
- What think tanks can offer the most comprehensive material (Council on Foreign Relations, Center for Strategic and International Studies, International Crisis Group, and similar)
- What resources from governments, IOs, and NGOs can offer you authoritative material? (CIA World Factbook, US Department of State, NATO, United Nations, UNHCR, International Rescue Committee, Doctors Without Borders, and similar)
- Where can I find journal articles on the topic? (Gale: Global Issues in Context, JSTOR, and other databases)
- Where can I find news articles on the topic? (The Economist, Foreign Policy, Foreign Affairs, BBC News, Reuters, UN News, and similar)
- Use the material you've gathered to answer your research question in a comprehensive (ie detailed, analytical, and from multiple perspectives) fashion.
- This should include a thorough bibliography of all of your source material.
- Use EasyBib to construct your bibliography
- Craft notes and/or an outline towards presenting your findings.
- Note: You may use notecards or headings in your presentation, but not a written paper on the topic
- Practice presenting on this topic by recording yourself using the camera on any device you own.
- Note: Prezi, Google Docs, PowerPoint, or similar technologies should not be used in this presentation. You are being assessed on your ability to present material in your own right.
- Once you feel you are comfortable with your presentation, log into YouTube using your school Google account and upload or record your presentation
- Please thoroughly understand the expectations of the HL Extension Task as found in pp. 52-54 in the IB Glopo Pilot Guide.
- Your video must be uploaded to YouTube using your school Google account.
- Please create a document in Google Drive that includes the following material. Be sure to share this document with me through Google Drive, as well as post a link to the document in the description section in YouTube.
- Your research question
- Your notes and or outline
- Your complete bibliography
- Please share your presentation with me (email@example.com) and allow me to comment on the video so that I may give you feedback on your presentation.
- I would advise that you keep this video private to all others.
- Videos should be uploaded and documents containing your research question, notes, and bibliography must be shared with me no later than Sunday, 10 November 2013.
- I cannot guarantee that videos and documents published after this date will recieve feedback.
I will score your HL Extension Task presentation according to the following rubric: